New Themes Gallery site

In the (longish) wait for the new themes repo, the hugoThemes repo’s README now has thumbnails for most themes:

So I wrote the script that generates the README and it’s included in that repo now. Is there more scripting that I can do to expedite the actual site?

@hut8 https://github.com/spf13/hugoThemesSite/issues/4 is a task up for grabs. I haven’t thought very hard about it, but if you feel like it, start a discussion on the GitHub issue.

I really would like to see the themes gallery finished. Since the page seems to be still in developement I would like to have a todo list of things that need to be done until a first release can run in production mode.

I have started on a list here:

What a wonderful surprise for the day!
The Hugo Themes site at http://themes.gohugo.io/ is up and running!
Hurray!

For more information, please follow the thread below:

I have a suggestion.

On the main page how about, under the theme name, a ‘BY …’ to give the theme creator immediate recognition?

I think that would make the index page too busy – and theme authors already have fairly prominent credits (compared to, say, the people creating the Go code that drives Hugo).

Agreed with BEP and also think we should do something to give more credit to the people who do a lot of the work that most people never see.

Yes 100% agree with both of you, especially from the perspective of someone currently (attempting to) put all this good code to use.

Virtuemart (Joomla extension and project I was involved with) has a place where contributors are listed bby the section they’ve contributed (development, documentation, design etc) but it’s pretty hidden, and I doubt many regular users see it. It was a good idea, better had it been more visible.

I think things like this come under the banner of marketing (in the open source sense), because it is promoting the people within, but also encouraging more contribution. This area can also include specific tutorial docs (which encourage new users), and a blog. Might be worth having that as an additional section of Hugo.

I would like the idea of having a blog. This would allow us to create posts about best practices or tips and tricks that normally wouldn’t fit into the docs.

I really like the idea of a blog. Are there enough community members that would be willing to post to it to keep it active and engaging? I’d rather do release posts there and upcoming previews of cool features would be great to be on the blog as well.

Reply to this post if you want to contribute to the blog and I’ll look into setting one up.

The idea is good, but it would be cool if we could get what we have working (setup for regular deployments of the theme site, more frequent Hugo releases etc.) before adding another layer of complexity.

@spf13 I’m definetely interested. To get some feedback from the community I’ll create a seperate thread for it and ask if they’re interested or have some ideas for contents.

@bep No worry. It’s just an idea but I would like to give this idea some shape, similar to the themes site. I agree, that we should focus on the points you mentioned first.

• regular deployments? This seems to be more in the hand of @spf13. Generally speaking: it would great to automate the deployments as we do it already with the docs.

• How do you exactly want to restructure the current workflow to release new versions more frequently? Where do you see a need for changes?

I created a thread to discuss this idea.

Hugo 0.14 was released May 25. There have been 267 commits since then. I thought this was obvious?

Yes. I also expected a release of a new version in the near future.

@spf13 is most likely the man behind Hugo (aka the boss) and you @bep lift the biggest parts of the maintainance by managing issues and PRs. On the one hand the commiters are quite active, which would allow us to create a shorter release cycle.

On the other hand I know that both of you have limited time to organize everything (without forgetting all the other regular contributors!). My intentation was how we could help you to accelerate and improve this process?

On both of the areas above the answer is better automation. @spf13 will have to take that ball, and I’m sure he will, eventually.

The theme site deployment is already automated. Deploys hourly.

1 Like

That is just great! OK, then I will tone done my grumpiness for a while … Just got some coffee, too.

1 Like