Having trouble adding styling to my Hugo site

Hi @digitalcraftsman,

How do I remove it since it is not recognized as a directory? Thanks!

Usually you can delete files, like the binary, with rm /usr/local/bin/hugo. Itā€™s possible that this directory is protected so that not every software, user etc. can install and remove software. If the permission is denied try sudo rm /usr/local/bin/hugo. This way you execute this command as admin. You might have to enter you password.

@digitalcraftsman Got it. Nothing there. Will try re-installing now.

@interglobalmedia @budparr @digitalcraftsman I should definitely add some content around this to the new docs. Iā€™ve assigned this to myself:

2 Likes

Hi @rdwatters, @digitalcraftsman It is something that is not really covered in the documentation at all. I have been looking at other developersā€™ workflows, but then they have situations and even sometimes environments that are different from my own. The other thing that I just submitted as an issue was the Tarball download issue for mac. I think there might be a bug in the Tarball. At least for me there seems to be one!

Thanks so much for your response @rdwatters and concern!

Best regards,

Maria

1 Like

@rdwatters @digitalcraftsman someone had a very similar issue regarding upgrading Hugo some months back (11-2016). Here is the thread (it was never resolved): https://discuss.gohugo.io/t/probably-an-idiot-question-upgrade-to-0-17/4556

I have re-opened the discussion there. Thanks for your help!

@digitalcraftsman, you were right. I did have another install on my system. I must have tried out hugo ages ago and had installed it with Homebrew. I uninstalled that version and am now re-installing. Letā€™s see if I get more than 0.18.1. Iā€™ll let you know. In that case, I will have to tell that other guy how to uninstall and re-install in the other thread.

Homebrew is a great way to go.

@budparr depends. But in this case, it was successful. Also, I did some major clean up of my Mac regarding paths, and that might have helped homebrew performance. Of course upgrading to Sierra might have helped as well. @digitalcraftsman and @rdwatters thanks so much for your help! Especially @digitalcraftsman. It was truncate feature that was preventing the rendering of my siteā€™s styles. Now that I have a version that is >= 0.19, it is working!!! Yay.

Note the change in appearance lol.

1 Like

My pleasure, but I donā€™t deserve any credit here. That goes to the other guys. I second @budparr 's comment on ease of use with brew, especially now that you donā€™t need to run brew update first. Of course, you wonā€™t be getting the bleeding edge, but that might not be what you want anyway :smile: Glad it worked out!

Thanks @rdwatters! Just a question: what do you mean by ā€œbleeding edgeā€?

As in, if you install with homebrew youā€™ll get the stable release by default rather than the newest dev branch.

@rdwatters Thatā€™s what I thought, but I just wanted to make sure. For my purposes, stable is better! I could always choose to install another way at a later date if I wanted!

1 Like