Automated Hugo deployments anywhere using Wercker

Ok, I have to think about what could be the problem here @rdwatters as nothing comes to mind right now. Although, I remember in the past that you had some issues with IP-based credentials. Is it possible that it’s related to that? It doesn’t match the error message, but that could be a bug in the error.

As for your aside, while I haven’t done it myself I can tell you that it’s possible. There are a couple of things that make this easier, both changes in Wercker and changes in the hugo-build step.

First, the hugo-build step now already includes the binaries for the latest 3 releases of Hugo, meaning that it can run from any container so you’re not limited to for example the golang one. It will always be only the latest 3, due to size limitations in the step, but that shouldn’t be a major issue.

Secondly, Wercker has made their environment more fluid. Meaning you can for example have multiple build pipelines that each use a different container and the contents (or rather, the contents of the $WERCKER_OUTPUT_DIR/$WERCKER_SOURCE_DIR) get passed along to the next pipeline just like it is between your build and deploy steps. So, in theory you can have a prepare-images pipeline using a node container, and then a build-hugo pipeline using a golang container. Their documentation about this can be found here.